Migration to Dynix
Using Dynix CBTs
| LLSAP libraries --
By now, you should all have your Computer-Based Training CDs (CBTs) for the new Dynix system. There are three of them -- Launcher, Circulation, and Cataloging. If anyone didn't get them, please let me know right away.
A few tips on the CBTs:
A few libraries have been having technical problems:
- It takes time to get through them, so don't put it off until the last minute. It is not unusual to spend 4 hours or more doing one CD.
- Don't try to do the whole CD in one sitting. Break up your sessions into one- or two-hour blocks. If you can find a quiet, uninterrupted spot for your training (difficult in a busy library, I know!), you will be more successful.
- Remember, you can make as many copies of the CDs as you need to, so that you have more than one copy in your library. The CD must be in the drive in order to use the CBT, so if more than one person is going to be training at the same time, you will need to copy the CD.
If you have other questions or problems not covered here, please call or send me an email.
- If you get an error in the Circulation CBT that says "not a book," let me know. Dynix has sent us a patch that fixes this problem. Two libraries have already tested the patch, and so far, it's working.
- If you get a Microsoft Agent error, it can usually be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling all CBTs. Don't just reinstall over the existing CBT -- you must completely uninstall first. Some libraries have had to uninstall and reinstall several times before the error stops. I am working with Dynix on a better solution to this problem.
- If you are using Windows XP (Home or Professional), you may get no speech out of the little wizard (he moves but he doesn't talk), even though you are sure you have your speakers and system sound turned on. This problem doesn't show up very often, but there is a patch for it as well. Call me and I will help you.
Jo McLain Automation/LLSAP Trainer
Rolling Prairie Library System
345 W. Eldorado St. Decatur, IL 62522
phone: 217/429-4522 fax: 217/429-2588