DRA GOVERNING BOARD MEETING
May 2, 2002
Decatur Public Library
Meeting called to order: 9:30 A.M. by Chair, Shelley Koehler
Koehler, Lee Ann Fisher, Susan Full, Pat Burg, Paul Johnson, Cindy Bowman, Nancy
Peterson, and Betty Lou Hicks
Minutes of April 4 meeting: approved
as corrected. Betty Lou will see that the April 4 minutes are sent to be posted
on the RPLS web site. Susan Full will send the February 18 minutes for posting.
Database Standards –
Technology – Surveys have been distributed and May 1 was the deadline for returning,
but the Committee will allow returns for a few days. The Committee is to meet
on May 9 to review and summarize the results. Pat Burg reiterated that she
has a time line in mind and will be discussing it with the Committee as to how
to proceed to find a new vendor for the automation system, but everything will
hinge on the outcome of the MOEN study sponsored by the Illinois State Library.
Paul Johnson reported that the dedupe program has been tested in small batches
with coordination among Patsy, Lincoln Library-Springfield, Decatur Public Library
and Terry. The group agreed things looked satisfactory and thus this A.M. the
dedupe program is being run at RPLS.
Paul also reported on a memo which had been received concerning the proposed
reduction in appropriation for the Illinois Century Network. If this happens
the DRA User’s Group will need to pay more for the connection. Paul urged everyone
to write their legislators asking to maintain the level of funding.
Paul reported that the Web 2 training session had been held on April 25 and
26. DPL and Lincoln Public Springfield have permission to rework their Web2
interface. Helen Flynn of St. Theresa High School who chaired the original
Web 2 committee will be asked to help determine how other libraries can get
their Web 2 interface changed. The Board requested that Matt Wilkerson join
them to answer some questions the Board had concerning this Web 2 training.
Questions asked of Matt: “Can we limit to just our own holdings?” and “Can we
limit by group, i.e. Museum has 3 agency holdings and they would like to see
all their holdings at one time, not search per holding agency?” Matt said DRA
was to get Terry an answer to the first question. He did not feel we could
do the second question at all. He wanted to be able to do the same thing as
the Museum was requesting for DPL and had been told this was not possible.
Paul also reported that the Live ‘n Learn Grant had been awarded and orders
were being placed for equipment. The schools in the Grant were asked how they
could receive training before school ends this year so as to be able to work
during the summer on their projects. The Board agreed that since so many of
the schools were really part of a District which already had a school in DRA,
we would allow mentor training by the other school librarian or perhaps another
librarian in the area to get them started. We would encourage these new schools
to attend the training, but formal training may not be available when it is
needed to begin the process. For the schools who are truly new to the system,
Paul will try to find a mentor in the vicinity of the school to help with the
understanding that these librarians will also need to go through training and
get properly certified.
Training by Kovacs is paid for through November, then what
happens. This topic had been approached before but no decision made. The Board
would like the Training Committee in cooperation with the Database Committee
to determine a plan of action. The Board would like a report at its June Board
Meeting if possible. Shelley will contact the two committees and ask that they
meet on this issue. Shelley mentioned that there were to be train the trainer
classes by Kovacs, but these had not been held.
Next Board Meeting:
To be held at Decatur Public Library at 9:30A.M. on Thursday,