DRA GOVERNING BOARD MINUTES
Thursday, April 5,2001
PRESENT:Linda Shaw, Paul Johnson, Cheryl Bushnell, Susan Full, Becky Wright, Karla Johnson, Cyndi Bowman, Linda Meyer, Betty Lou Hicks, Nancy Huntley, and Nancy Peterson
CALL TO ORDER:
By Chair, Linda Shaw at 9:30 A.M. at Rochester Public Library
Karla Johnson reported for the Database Standards Committee by distributing copies of the proposed Certification Compliance document and the sanctions that would follow if a library does not cooperate. It was noted that RPLS has sent a second tape for checking by MARC of Quality. Before the tape was sent, Patsy knew there are still 10,000 duplicate records. Now we must wait to see how many more there are in the database. The Userís Group will be asked to endorse this document and to have it included in the Database Manual. RPLS Board has seen the document and feels it is workable. The RPLS lawyer felt if it were part of the Manual, it would be considered part of the DRA Contract.
Nancy Huntley reported the Finance Committee would be meeting on April 6. The Committee may need to reassess User fees since there is a question as to what exactly one can do with a PAC and a SEARCH Userís Name. The Committee wants to be sure they are being used properly before suggesting to DPL what they should have in their library.
Policy Committee was represented by Becky Wright and they will be meeting later today, April 5. The Committee has only received back 39 surveys. A question arose concerning patrons making request from home, does this count against the 7-request rule? Becky will get an answer.
Cheryl Bushnell gave the Technology Committeeís report. The Committee met on March 30. They shared information about the recent DRA Conference. From this discussion came a question, could the DRA Program booklets be put on MARION for circulation. Paul Johnson thinks he has 2 or 3 years worth of programs and will see about adding them to the holdings. No one has really reported any problems with using the OBC program. However, the Committee feels there may be libraries having problems. The Committee would like to become aware of any problems. The Committee has started to discuss their part in the Strategic Plan. Cheryl reported that she has yet to find any A-V databases to use for records in MARION. The Committee questioned purchasing the Kidís Catalog program to try at Lincoln Library, Springfield. Can we not get a demo? Paul reminded the group many people have seen a demo, but it is like the out-of-the-box version of Web2. No real data to search and not easy to understand. Cheryl has not determined if the Program is still available. Paul will check on the availability of the Program. Perhaps it would be easier just to make a Kidís version of Web2.
Paul Johnson reported for RPLS. With 30 days notice RPLS can drop the DRA Internet provide service. They will return the router and the IP address. However when this happens DRANET will cost the group a little more because we will not be using DRA as an Internet provider. Two libraries that may be hurt by this move are Decatur School District and Lincoln Library Springfield. RPLS will work with these. RPLS has started the new libraries in completing their policy files, but need to find mentors for these new libraries. The meeting with DPL has been held. Their biggest concern was the acquisition module. There is extra money in the grant that can be used for special training. The next meeting with DPL will be April 18 at which time they will complete their policy file. Representatives from Springfield Lincoln Library will attend to help with this process. It is hoped that DPL can go on-line in August 2001.
The Migration Committee met in Mt. Zion on March 15. Linda Shaw reported that it was a good meeting and that Ann Adkesson has been chosen as the Chair for the group. Jenny Alexander will share the duties of Chair, but primarily work to organize the meetings and serve as recorder for the meetings. DPL voiced their concerns about collections dissemination, bibliographical control, step back to a lesser product, and loss of control through rules set in Policy Manual. Linda feels that DPL staff does not understand the full capability of DRA. The next meeting will be at Cerro Gordo on April 17 at 10 A.M.
The Training Task Force met on March 30 at the Forsyth Library. The group discussed why changes in training were needed. Grace Veach suggested having a checklist of what is to be accomplished before moving on to another level of certification. Grace also felt every data entry person should be given a copy of the publication, What is MARC? The Committee has set as a target date the July Userís Group meeting to revamp training issues: classes offered, personnel needed to do the training, etc. The group feels Boards and especially School Principals or Superintendents do not truly understand the need for training. Also, the Group felt training should be to the lowest common denominator Ė break training into smaller segments and provide more hands on. Also, on-site training would be more beneficial and certainly could help SOLO librarians.
Some librarians have voiced concern that ILCSO may move away from using DRA. The idea of ILCSO issuing an RFP for other systems makes DRA seem obsolete. The Governing Board needs to reassure the members of RPLS DRA Group that DRA is a very viable system.
The college libraries and even some public libraries are concerned that student workers who have access to the complete Circulation Module could change patron records. All libraries need to realize that there are 12 levels of security within DRA.
On Tuesday, April 24, a DRA Representative will be at DPL to give demonstrations and talk with the staff about the capabilities of DRA. The Board is encouraged to attend the later portion of this presentation to ask any questions we might have about DRA modules. The Board will be notified of a good time to attend the meeting.
Linda Meyer reported that there is no technical support at Richland Community College for the ICN on evenings and weekends. Paul Johnson will question Dave Zindel about this issue.
Linda Shaw asked for suggestions of topics to be discussed after the regular DRA Userís Group meeting. Topics suggested included: ILL, VIC, First Search, Web2, and printing of reports from Web2. The last two suggestions will be the topics at the April 25 meeting.
At the April 25 meeting, the people who attended the DRA Conference will be asked to give a brief overview of what they heard and saw.
There has been a change in meeting date and place for the April Userís Group meeting. Date is April 25 and place is Forsyth Public Library.
Meeting adjourned at 12:15 P.M.
Betty Lou Hicks